Counting Laps
Someone who estimates their
laps is lying –
not in a big way, but
nonetheless
they smooth out a rough
guess to impress.
As I’m rounding the far buoy
for the fourth
or fifth time (it’s
difficult to be sure,
see what I did there; so easy
isn’t it?) -
maybe a third or sixth lap, I think about this
and pull a few languid breaststrokes, viz:
‘Oh, yeah, been to
can’t remember, how many
now’ (she can),
or ‘Think I did maybe
about 10,000 yesterday,’
(he checked his smartwatch
straight away),
I can see them all
sprawled on the beach.
Now, this water’s
freezing, but I’m getting
my money’s worth, you can be
sure of that,
sharing the Fal Estuary
with jellyfish, mullet,
and any other deep sea
horrors that kiss
my bootless feet – swim on
and dismiss –
as 30 minutes previous, 3
heads motioned
at me – I spotted
familiarity in the salted
disembodied faces, but quickly struck
out
for that blue yacht,
wilfully ignoring shouts,
crossing the line between
what’s known
and what is not. They’ve
reserved a rock
for me, no doubt,
threadbare towel dropped
upon it, sand up cracks: ‘How many laps?’
‘What’s it like? In
there?’ Nodding interest
but wiping the gravel from
their phones.
Bollocks to it. But I
can’t shiver here in foam
forever and, therefore, in
a dissimilar way
to Ursula Andress, (Doctor
No), emerge,
dripping iced waters from
prick-pin flesh,
gathered roughly no costly
conch shells;
therefore, I guess,
have nothing left to sell.
No comments:
Post a Comment