Friday 20 September 2024

If You Sit On It, It Is

 

If You Sit On It, It Is

 

It comes across my desk, and that’s a bit rude

in itself, isn’t it? Could certainly be construed

that way. I always thought if Ferguson put

Crouch, Bent and Duff in his starting line up

it was dodgy; even back then, you’d titter.

There you go. So, really, what’s this all about?

I’ll be straight, which reminds me of Zoe Gadsby

who wasn’t. In fact, she was fat, well, plus-sized

and there was something desperate in her eyes,

maybe she guessed, or saw it; unsurprised

that time we wrote our team down on paper

when pissed, of all the ones least likely to score.

Anyway, today there’s a knock on my office door,

cos next week, visitors, and a flustered librarian

with 500 dictionaries tossing off rude words

with gay abandon, ones that shouldn’t be heard,

haram; would I take my magic marker to them?

To put it plainly, be a lexical filter, verbal scrubber,

put foul English language to the rubber,

pictured myself squatting for hours with piles

of books that came from the dreaming spires

of Oxford – or some other dump like that, anyway.

Now, she’s a lovely girl, but I told her, ‘Sorry, super,

it’s a bit soft.’ Then explained - not that, but that,

with the emphasis on ‘that’ and pointing at books,

but even so, she left my office with such a dirty look

that it reminded me of Blackadder’s erect turnips,

and how it's nothing rude - until you sit on it, that is.


No comments:

Post a Comment