Saturday 30 September 2023

A Tooth Extracted

 

A Tooth Extracted

 

Maybe O’Brien reached into my mouth;

to pull a tooth like plucking weeds

where flaccid gums had gone to seed

and thick the blood that comes to bleed

thistle purple gouts and crone’s disease.

Between forefinger and thumb in distaste,

dispassionate holds it to my swollen face,

and with toneless voice I heard him state,

‘imagine my boot grinding skull and pate

forever - this certainly has been your fate’.

Could well have been some other spook,

or maybe it  was you who left me shook

and reaching for my fluoxetine.

What teeth I have left shape silent screams,

while tinkling with wretched ivory keys,

toss off crushed velvet songs on satin seas

of truth flies somewhere on the breeze,

anxious remembrance I troubled leave,

and find lost hours to sometime grieve,

wind back through youth that you did thieve.

We’ll unlace the boot that stamps the face

and leather straplines with old fingers trace.





No comments:

Post a Comment