Friday 9 July 2021

From Heaven, Scent

 

From Heaven, Scent

 

 

She thanks him. For such joy that day we met,

she prays dreams never cease, I don’t forget,

unclasps her pink bag, open wide, fish inside,

presses my palms together like milky petals,

pushes a bottle of fragrant cherry sugar scent,

not frankincense, but her favourite – all heady,

swooning us, crooning, ‘my dearest Mister,

sweet like strawberry.’ If it was placed ready

early doors, she didn’t say, or an unplanned gift,

takes arms with gentle command, holds wrists

and anoints, then, ‘you shall keep,’ she insists.

To soak with her aroma my pillows and sheets,

neck, arms, thighs: ease night’s dripping heat.

Dark eyed trusting gaze wrapped in silk scarf

tight about her hair, no fingers venture there,

but perfumed, an apple press under long dress

of desert, only wanting a peeler to open wide

strawberry petalled wings of fragile butterfly.

In love with soft fingers, quick hesitant touch

hovering in hummingbird blur, a brushed rush

of shy accident; all shaking tentative request,

she tests me with questions; to furnish her nest.

Dream opening flowers, pull petal with thumbs,

and when the rain falls, the thunder will come.

Shower strawberry nectar, adore heaven scent,

spray her with fragrance till my bottle is spent.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Pete, I like your skill with metre, very impressive. An interesting poem, I like the stream of consciousness approach you use.
    Good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul. appreciate it - I want to fiddle with the last couplet, though. I always want to fiddle. Do you?
      Maybe change 'adore' to 'from' to sit with the title.

      Delete