Friday 9 September 2022

That You Did Love Me, I Am Nothing Jealous

 That You Did Love Me, I Am Nothing Jealous

 

 

That you did love me, I am nothing jealous.

Some memories, mostly drab,

for only bad cements and stamps us.

Penny dreadfuls, penny blacks,

tacky hinges you claimed you’d licked

but only some of them that stick.

 

That you did rule me, I am nothing measured.

Your face once peered, incurious

about what I do or ever did,

falls hail farewell; your measured grip

cold ice that froze my squirming blood,

so hard the hand that slips the glove.

 

That you did raise me, I am nothing grown.

Quick set, firm hatred gums my heart

and I was glad when we did part

that squally day and years have flown.

My thoughts this world unsettled roam 

never think one day I must come home.




No comments:

Post a Comment