Tuesday 19 December 2023

Of Summer Afternoons in 2016

Of Summer Afternoons in 2016

 

 

Oh, I should have held you as tight

as my darling held me last night,

begged me never forget, never slip.

I should have held on to our past

rather than let wild futures fly by

and look back years later in regret

lost lover, I should have gripped;

I should have pressed you to me,

as she pushed back upon the bed,

whispered bonds into my head,

pinned me to these desert lands,

old hearts run free hand in hand.

All these things I wish I had done,

but I tucked my weary tale and ran

like a thief, letting love slip like sand

through a pirate’s shifting fingers

puzzled by where his treasure lies,

now looking hard on every return,

for ashes of the charts he burned:

Oh, I should have held us as tight

as darlings hold hope for rising light.




No comments:

Post a Comment