Saturday 29 June 2019

Trivial Pursuits


Trivial Pursuits



I’ve heard some pray you’re choking,
suffocating on thick fluff of some groping,
kennel-slum-dog cough carrying,
trash bin trough tarrying,
three legged amputee shabby whippet,
disembowelled during moulting season;
whilst seeking some scabby bitch on heat
in the smogged smelter of high summer.
Cocking its leg on each corner:
no lamppost too high
no gutter too low.
Stacatto coughing, suck in black tongue,
you hump in time to punctured lung.
Not me, though, I’m far too convivial.
I just hope it’s nothing trivial.


They’ll kneel nightly at the altar pleading,
you’re bowled out, skittled in Gibraltar
unwarily smitten; lightly bleeding and bitten,
spat at, malice aforethought, menaced by
three or four bladdered barbary apes
scratching skin for fleas, just for the sake
of spreading their scabied disease;
rabid, covered in boils and sores,
so you’re forced to dash for it:
over the top, cable car zip wiring,
plummet deathwards like a cut price
living daylights James Bond
into the jaws of the briny pond
below. Not me, though, I’m biddable.
I just hope it’s nothing trivial.


Pusillanimous priests ball billowing smoke,
rattle their beads, prepare the rope,
observe your fingernailed digging yellowed toes,
implore foul fungus found there below
to wildfire spread, breed and grow.
Mushrooms deep root in cankered skin.
Serpentine scales, camomile resistant, vile
hoods cover pussed up eyelids, blind trials
fending off truffle trained carnivorous hogs
that long escaped base drooling dogs
who tuck in hearty. Until sated at last,
leave what remains of guts and brains
to wash away down degenerate drains.
Not me, of course, I’m a liberal.
I just hope it’s nothing trivial.


Whispering gathered congregations beseech
in tongues, supplicate, genuflect and reach
out to one, who might divine and teach
you and yours a simple lesson; hear your screech
as your left nipple is pegged then tangled
in the rotary washing line and mangled
when fiercely unexpected northerly winds
whip up a storm that spitefully spins
you in an untempered, tearaway fashion,
revolutions rapid in hate and passion;
hammer toss some limp shell back up that hill
as audiences beneath cheer, point and thrill
in appreciation at the sight of soaring swill.
I’ll not be there, though, I’m immaterial.
I just hope it’s nothing trivial.




No comments:

Post a Comment